Welcome to Discover Me Occupational Therapy (DMOT)
Occupational Therapist & Play Therapist
Discover Me Occupational Therapy
1B / 73 Gibson Avenue,
PADBURY WA 6025
Discover Me Occupational Therapy (DMOT) provides:
· Developmentally sensitive Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for all ages & stages
· Child Centred Play Therapy for Children (counselling/mental health for children)
· Support for Parents
· Child Parent Relationship Therapy based on the Circle of Security
· Counselling for Adults & Young People
Please see below for more information about each of these services.
Telehealth is available by phone or video call.
Language translation interpreter services can be organised at your request.
NDIS Provider - Self-Managed and Plan Managed
· Occupational Therapy - child, adolescent and adult mental health
· Positive Behaviour Support
· All ages - including Early Childhood, Children, Young People/Adolescents & Adults
Private Health Insurance rebates available for families with “Occupational Therapy” cover. No referral is required.
When you first contact me by phone 0422 087 107 or discovermeot@gmail, you may wish to briefly describe your concerns to me. I will then discuss with you my services that may assist you and/or your child or recommend other services.
I will also give information about my fees including Medicare & Private Health rebates, my location and answer any questions you may have.
If you have a Health Care Card please let me know.
Medicare Rebates Provider 4174271H
Fiona is able to accept Mental Health Treatment Plans and Chronic Disease Management Plans from your GP, Paediatrician or Psychiatrist
Please advise if you have a Health Care Card.
A GP Mental Health Treatment Plan (MHTP) may allow up to 20 sessions each calendar year. Fiona Hayes is registered as a mental health care provider with Medicare trained in Focused Psychological Strategies.
Chronic Disease Management (CDM) Plan allows up to 5 allied health consultations, including Occupational Therapy, per calendar year.
A referral and mental health care plan or CDM plan is required from your GP, medical practitioner or Psychiatrist before Occupational Therapy can commence under Medicare.
When making your GP appointment ask for a “long appointment” to allow time to discuss the mental health care plan for you or your child.
Payment is at time of consultation is required by bank transfer, cheque or cash. Sorry, credit card or card facilities are not available.
Developmentally sensitive CBT in the Play Therapy environment may be helpful for your child if she or he is experiencing emotional, social and behavioural difficulties. Play Therapy is a form of counselling for children aged 3 - 10 years. For more specific information about Play Therapy can help a child, please go to Who Play Therapy Can Help?.
Play is the natural way children understand their world, express their feelings and communicate their experiences. “Discover Me Occupational Therapy” has a specially designed therapeutic playroom.
Play Therapy allows your child to play out their worries and concerns with support from the Play Therapist. Play Therapy can help parents, teachers and caregivers to understand what their child is going through.
Emotional, social and behavioural difficulties and significant traumatic life events can result in persisting problems at home, day care or school.
Listed below are some difficulties and situations where Play Therapy may be helpful.
Emotional Difficulties – depression, low mood, separation anxiety, aggression, low self-esteem, persistent worries and fears.
Behavioural Difficulties - dependency on others, withdrawal, bedwetting, soiling, hair pulling, elective mutism, sleeping problems, nightmares, immature or regressive behaviours, eating problems.
Social & Relationship Difficulties - bullying, problems making and keeping friends, antisocial behaviours, family conflicts, sibling rivalry, attachment and bonding problems, excessive clinging and insecurity, withdraws from friends and others.
Educational Difficulties – poor self confidence affecting learning, disruptive in class.
Major Loss or Disruption in their Lives - abuse, divorce, bereavement, hospitalisation, frequent medical procedures, chronic illness, being a witness or victim of a traumatic event, foster care and adoption.
As an Occupational Therapist and Play Therapist I have specialist knowledge in child development and the potential impact of emotional, social and behavioural difficulties on the child, the family and at school and in social environments.
For more specific information about Play Therapy see:
Being a parent of a child with difficulties can be challenging, distressing and tiring. Support and strategies will be given to assist you with your child at home. Advice may also be given to your child’s teachers and school or day care centre if you feel this would be helpful.
Counselling can be helpful for individuals with emotional and mental health difficulties including:
· Schizophrenia and psychosis
· Bipolar affective disorder and mood problems
· Coping with a difficult physical or mental health condition
· Change in life situation e.g. retirement, caring for a family member
· Loss of an important life role
· Stress-related illnesses
These emotional difficulties can lead to the following problems:
· Difficulty coping with stressful situations
· Feeling socially isolated & lonely
· Difficulty completing everyday life skills e.g. household tasks, parenting, work or study
· Low motivation
· Lack of routine leading to boredom
· Lack of meaning or purpose
· Problems with family and social relationships
· Low self confidence & self esteem
Counselling will allow you to:
1. Gain a better understanding of your problems and the impact on your life.
2. Learn practical strategies for managing them.
3. Practise the techniques learnt during counselling for use in your everyday life.
4. Learn how to maintain the gains you have made during counselling.
Counselling and therapeutic methods used include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Narrative Therapy and Solution Focused Brief Therapy.
An Occupational Therapist will make suggestions to modify your situation or give you strategies to improve your lifestyle and wellbeing.
These education and strategies may include:
· Stress management & skills to cope with life stressors
· Anxiety management
· Prevention of relapse of a mental health condition
· Problem solving and goal setting
· Being more assertive
· Self esteem
· Healthy & balanced lifestyle counselling
· Feeling more comfortable relating to others
For more specific information about Counselling and Occupational Therapy see Counselling For Adults.
“The most important discovery
is the one
you make for yourself”
Skills for Living
Discover Me Occupational Therapy
Play Therapy for Children
Counselling for Adults & Children
Discover Me Occupational Therapy acknowledges the traditional owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures; and to elders both past and present.
May we walk to together for a better future.
Counselling for Children